I just wanted to share a little thrill that I had on Tuesday with my year 2 prac class.
One of the boys in the class (I'll call him Bill) is extremely low in both literacy and numeracy and often spends most of the lesson staring into space or misbehaving if he does not have one-on-one attention.
I have been teaching the class about money - the notes in particular, and I decided to use a learning object as part of my lesson this week. We share a Smartboard with the class next door, however I had not seen this happen to date and indeed when I questioned the kids before the lesson the majority had not had a Smartboard lesson since Prep!!
Anyway off we went next door. The learning object was a vending machine that the students had to choose the correct money for and place in the slot to buy a selected item.
Bill had placed himself at the very front of the class and was watching with much interest - not like him at all. As we progressed through the activity I could almost feel his desire to have a turn. I engineered a simple opportunity for him and he was successful - good start.
Running out of time, as you do, each student only got one go each, but Bill maintained his attention throughout. Then all of a sudden he exclaimed - I GET IT!!
Not able to contain his joy he blurted out an answer, much to the annoyance of the student whose turn it was - but guess what? He was right - he did get it - JOY!
Better still was the response of my mentor teacher at the end of the lesson when she said to the kids that as they seemed to enjoy the activity so much she would book the lab for them to have another turn.
That reminds me - I must email her the link!
Hey Phil
ReplyDeleteHow wonderful to have created the opportunity for Bill to enjoy the success of learning. It demonstrates to me not only the importance of using a range of technologies to address the different learning styles and multiple intelligences of our students but how engaging appropriate learning objects are for our digital natives.
We too have an interactive whiteboard in the class, although I have yet to see it in use. The other day the class were introduced to a new unit on gloablisation using an old globe and a series of outdated and dusty books. The teacher pointed to the birthplaces of some of the students in the class as we all struggled to get a view. I looked at the whiteboard and wondered how much more effective google earth may have been to assist comprehension of the earth and the positions of the countries. We could have zoomed into the countries,to the different birthplaces,and linked to images. The possibilities are endless.
So, I take heart from your experience and the positive way your teacher reacted. I will include ICT within as many of my lessons as I can, so I too may encourage and give my mentor teacher the confidence to incorporate what I see essential tools in the 21st century classroom.
Thanks for your post Phil,
Juliet
Ah Phil, welcome to the joys of my work most days... As Jules has said we all need to make sure we recognise our successes and reflect on what made them a success. I find with the children I work with mainly it's someone taking the time. I think we also underestimate the value of success for children and more importantly the students which have learning difficulties. I think you have found a way in with this young man, I think that is a universal thing with ICT's and younger students they aren't afraid to have a go and in a way most of them are unsure not just the student with the learning difficulty so it's nice for students to feel like they have a even playing field for a change to.
ReplyDeleteKeep up the good work!
Justin